Zippered Bags are listed in a width by legnth (w x l)
format, with the zipper always being sewn along the width (top) of the bag. In addition, the length of the bag is slightly longer than the given dimension to allow for the zipper. For example, a 10"x10" Zippered Bag would actually be closer to 11" in length to allow room for the zipper, and to ease inserting and removing of the article to be stored.
Zippered Bag Sizing Guide - Method I
You will need either a fabric measuring tape, or a length of string that can then be measured. Click here
to see method I (link will open in a new window). This link is also available on all Zippered Bag
Zippered Bag Sizing Guide - Method II (most accurate)
You will need a couple pins, a tape measure or other measuring device,
and either a pillow case, ziplock bag, or other similar type bag.
1. Slip the article into one corner of your pillow case or bag. The size of your item will likely dictate what type and size of bag you will be using.
2. Bring the front and back of the pillow case or plastic bag together where they come together comfortably/loosely at the item's widest point. Pinch off any excess material and mark this spot with a pin (or pencil, marker, etc).
3. Do the same thing at the top, leaving the opening free so you can slide the article out of the pillow case or bag.
4. Slide the item out of the pillow case/bag and measure from the edge to your mark/pin on the opposite side to determine the width of the bag.
5. Then measure from the bottom fold to your mark/pin at the opening/top to determine the length of the bag.
There you go! For this article, we get the dimensions 7"x13". So we would need a bag no smaller than 7"x13". This method, when done properly, is much more accurate than Method I. Just ensure the article easily slides out of the pinned pillow case in step 4. You do not want the bag to be tight to the point that it is stretching out (and wearing out) the fabric.
Flatware Roll Pocket Sizing Guide